Friday, October 30, 2009

Sleepless Nights - What I'm Thinkin

(*NOTE - I am home sick today from work. Yes, me, Marc Sawyer, missed work because I'm sick. Ugh. Since I have nothing else to do, and I can't sleep anymore, I figured I'd make a blog post. So here ya go.)

*****

People always ask me "What do you think about when you can't fall asleep at night?" As we all know, this is virtually every night for me, so my answer always tends to turn into quite the opus.

Short Answer: I think about some pretty bizarre stuff.

I always end up asking myself questions that I have no way of finding out (or my own opinion doesn't cut it as a legit answer). So here's a brief look into a couple random things that have kept me up and thinking over the years (I'm sure I will either add to this post, or do a second chapter sometime later on in this blogging experiment):


Taste Test - If you and I each take a bite out of the same apple (any piece of food will suffice, but apple is the food of choice today), and I like the taste and you do NOT like the taste, what is actually occurring? Do you and I taste the EXACT same thing, and make a value judgment based on whether that is a satisfying taste? Or do we actually taste two different things based on our digestive or anatomical makeup? Do I have a specific set of tastebuds that allow the apple's taste to be appealing to me, but your tastebuds are aligned or sectioned off differently so it only grabs the sour tasting part of the apple? I'd like to think that the apple has ONE taste that, if all of us had the exact same palate, would provide us with the same sensory experience. But because we do NOT have the same palate, our tastebuds make the biological decision for us. As opposed to us tasting the same thing and then us judging it like we do a band we're listening to. I know, I know...weird.

Pain Tolerance - This is a tougher one because I know a lot of it has to do with body type. I have always wondered when someone is in a lot of pain, or if I have got hurt but realized it didn't hurt that bad, if we react the same to similar injuries, or is there such a thing as better "pain tolerance"? Let's say you and I are both of equal size and shape and muscle mass (so basically non-existent in this case, right?), and we each get kicked in the shin at the EXACT same velocity and force, do we feel the same amount of pain? Does it hurt one of us more than the other? Do we both feel the same pain, and then react differently because of our brain's makeup? Are our senses feeling the exact same amount of force and damage to our leg, and then we decide how much it hurts? Or does it feel TOTALLY different when that same kick happens? Does your body just have neurological and anatomical differences compared to mine that completely alter the sensory experience? Yes, folks, this is one I think about all the time.

That's it for now. I'm gonna go eat an apple and kick my own shin.

No comments:

Post a Comment