Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Favorite Meals in San Diego

I love food. If I could marry food, I would (sorry ladies). And for those of you that know me, you also know that my metabolism allows me to consume virtually any quantity of food at any given time. And as you also know...all the weight goes to my feet.

Living in San Diego, there are countless culinary options to appease my ever-changing palate. Be it classic San Diego mexican cuisine, fresh seafood from the San Diego Bay, gourmet dining at local breweries, refreshing breakfast/brunch joints across the coast, or even the local hole-in-the-wall establishments who specialize in grease and deliciousness...we've got it all.

In this episode of "Marc's Food Obsession", I will be attempting to name my TOP 5 FAVORITE MEALS IN SAN DIEGO.

THE CRITERIA
1) Now when I say "favorite", do I mean a meal I could eat for the rest of my life? Or is it strictly just the best meal I've ever had, consistently? For this exercise, I define "favorite meal" as the food that, upon touching my taste buds for the first time, creates such a cathartic reaction that I literally have to put my utensil down, take a deep breath, and make some exaggerated gesture of appreciation to portray the magnitude of the culinary intensity I am experiencing.

2) I am by no means rating the restaurant. I am strictly judging off of one single dish. Granted, the majority of the places I mention would receive high marks in a "Restaurant Review", but that is of no relevance to this exercise.

3) I tried to keep the choices specific to our area. Option #4 is a bit of a stretch, as the chain also exists in L.A., but there's no way I'm leaving that one out. But, for those of you wondering why I don't have Wings 'n Things on this list...thats' why.

4) I only chose 5 meals, so there are plenty more deserving of Honorable Mention. I apologize to any snubs of your palatable favorites.

THE ENVELOPE PLEASE....
1) Mac 'n Beer Cheese - Stone Brewery

This is the most ridiculously, incredible, salivatingly tasty dish in history of the universe. Describing it would do an injustice to it, so here is the menu description - Classic Mac 'n Cheese made with Stone Smoked Porter & Garlic Beer Cheese with sundried tomatoes, basil and Smoked Porter Sausage


2) California Burrito w/ Guacamole - Rico's Taco Shop

North County kids know what I'm talking about. This is a good-size burrito with carne asada, cheese, sour cream, and....FRENCH FRIES. Yep, don't waste my time with potatoes, this is the most epic burrito in San Diego. But of course, no burrito is finished without a healthy dose of Rico's hot sauce covering EVERY bite (no exceptions).

3) California Delight Sandwich & Very Berry Smooothie - Swami's Cafe

Oh man, nostalgia. They have the BEST sandwiches, and this is my personal favorite. Avocado, jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, sprouts, Dijon, mayo on a croissant (for an extra buck). Smoothie has apple juice, bananas, strawberries, raspberries, & boysenberries. Such a refreshing meal. Yum.



4) Double Chili Cheeseburger with Fries - Original Tommy's Burgers

My best bud (aptly named Tom) introduced me to this in 2007, and man have I been missing out. It is greasy, salty, cholesterol-loaded heaven (see diagram to left). And you gotta start by using your fries to scrape off excess, oozing chili off sides. Napkins optional.


5) Western Cheeseburger w/ Bacon and Basket of Fries - Chief's Burgers & Brew

Simply put...huge burger, best flavor in town. Ridiculously thick strips of fatty bacon, perfect BBQ sauce...oh man.



Honorable Mention
Pizza Carlsbad & Sharkbite Red Ale - Pizza Port Brewing Company
Bacon Breakfast Burrito - Pipes Cafe
Red Trolley BBQ Cheeseburger & Garlic Fries - Karl Strauss Brewery


Yea...so for those of you in San Diego...go check these out.

(I'm gonna go eat my PB&J, Doritos, and apple juice-box in my office now...)

No comments:

Post a Comment