Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy February

How the hell is it February already? Weren't we just doing this?

Thoughts from a fun weekend:

The "Farmers Insurance Open" (formerly known as "Buick Invitational") was a total bomb from a production/marketing standpoint. Everyone knew that Buick had pulled out as title sponsor and that Tiger Woods would not be in the field due to his being an idiot. That being said, I was still shocked at the low attendance. For those of you familiar with golf tournaments, I stood at the rope at every tee, fairway, and green for every player not named Phil Mickelson (I stood SECOND row for him). It was depressing to see the lack of people. There were no roars from other holes reverberating across the course. There were no die-hard fans running between holes hoping to get a peak at the golfers. And the tell-tale sign of a low fan turnout...throughout the entire day (Saturday) I was there, I did not hear one shout of "GET IN THE HOLE" when the ball left the putter. I know Farmers Insurance came on for this year...and this is a tough sell for the tournament directors, because without Tiger, there was no quality tournout for the great exposure Buick had received over the past few years. I still had fun going, but man, it was a totally different tournament.

My wetsuit kicks ass. I surfed Saturday morning, and I never once felt a shiver in my body (Despite the numbing of my feet). Surfed San Elijo Campgrounds at high tide, and the waves were pretty decent size. Water was a not-so-freezing 58 degrees. Lots of surfers out for a January morning, more than I remember "in the old days" (yep, I said it).

My golf game could be so good if I played more. Played Lomas Santa Fe Executive Course with Tommy-D on Sunday morning, and had moments of sheer brilliance, immediately followed by moments of sheer ineptitude. Sunk a 55-foot birdie putt, chipped the ball in the hole from 30 yards out, drained four putts outside of ten feet...and shot a horrid score. I wish the game wasn't so expensive, because I would play so much more. But, I am determined to keep getting out there, so if you want to play, let me know.

My appetite is coming back like the old high school days. Just one single week of physical activity has increased my stomach's desire for food a ton. After golf, went to Rico's and ordered a big California burrito and three rolled tacos. Haven't done that in a while (without feeling sick afterward). Hopefully this continues...

Enjoy your first day of February.

No comments:

Post a Comment