Thursday, February 4, 2010

UCLA - Visit to the Past

Well, I am making my way back to my old stomping (and sleeping) grounds. This Saturday I am making my way up to Los Angeles to hallowed Pauley Pavilion to watch the Cal Bears take on the UCLA Bruins on the hardcourt.

This may not sound like a big deal, considering all the days and nights I spent inside and outside that gym during my tenure at UCLA. But here's the kicker...

This is the first basketball game I will have attended since I graduated UCLA in 2006.

Yes, you read that right, I, Marc Sawyer, he of the blue aviators, bandana and wig, has not stepped foot in that gym since Senior Day 2006. Yes, the same Marc Sawyer that was featured as Sports Illustrated co-Fanatic of the Year. The same Marc Sawyer who was fondly (and sometimes not-so-fondly) referred to as "The Pirate" due to his garb. The same Marc Sawyer who served as the President of the student fan section for two years. The same Marc Sawyer that was featured on an ESPN commercial for being a fan (don't believe me...click here).

FIRST GAME BACK... Some people call outrage or sacrilege at this claim. Others are just totally confused. I live less than two hours away...I love the school...I love their sports...and basketball dominated my life while I lived there. So why haven't I made it to a game? The answer is simple in my own head, but not so sure how it translates to everyone else...

When I went to games as a student, it goes without saying that I went all out. I had an entire "outfit" coordinated for three years, from head to toe (also known as bandana to Reebok's). When I was in that arena, I flipped a switch. I just let go of everything. My life was surrounded by great games and even better friends. I knew every single player and called some of them my friends ("HOLLA!"). I knew nothing but passion and commitment to a team that I had virtually NO part in (other than that one time I helped Ben Howland recruit Kevin Love)...

I am no longer a student. I no longer know the players. I no longer sleep on the pavement for good seats. I probably don't have the lung capacity I used to, either. But that is no excuse not to GO to a game. So why has it been so long?

I think it was all-or-nothing for me. While I was there, I was going to go all out and dress up and lead the student section and be totally obsessed. Now that I'm out of school, I kinda felt like I wouldn't know what to do at a game just as a quiet observer. I'm certainly not gonna go all out anymore...that was something you do as a student and enjoy it. I have retired the bandana and shades, don't worry everyone. But now I realize I want to support the team and enjoy the basketball at a great venue...and not compare it to "the old days" when I went there.

Random blog post, I know. But this has been on my mind. I'm excited to see my Bruins live in action again in one of my favorite places, Pauley Pavilion. That place served as home to me for three years. I slept there, I screamed there, I studied for midterms there, I made close friends there...and I was happy there.

Here's to Saturday bringing back all the good feelings...and me learning how to just "sit back, relax, and enjoy the show."

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Marc! I can completely relate to your reasoning (though admittedly I may be one of the few...). I've only been to one game as an alum -- and I totally agree. HOLLA!

    ReplyDelete