Monday, December 14, 2009

Balancing Life with Some Relaxation...or Trying.

Is it possible for Marc to cool his jets every now and then?

When given an option, I have always been a proponent of getting out and doing something and staying busy. It's no secret that I love being outdoors, and will almost always rather be throwing a frisbee or going to the beach than watching a sports game on TV (which is saying something, come from a sports nut). And at night, I would rather be going for a drive, grabbin' a beer, or shooting pool (or even playin some night frisbee too) than watching TV or sitting at my computer.

When I'm at home doing nothing, I get really antsy. I get lethargic. And worst of all...I feel unproductive. I don't like the feeling of sitting around on my own doing nothing. It drives me batty.

That being said, things seem to be changing for me, but in a positive way. I certainly am still the first to suggest an activity or outing, but for the first time I can remember, I have found myself sitting at home...and enjoying it. So what changed? I learned how to cool my jets.

When I'm alone, I'm always thinking of the next thing to do, or what I SHOULD be doing, or reflecting on work...or, my most frequent vice...overthinking every situation. Recently I have found myself sitting in my apartment and just enjoying the life I've established for myself. I'm sitting in my own apartment, taking a break from a busy day at work, having a day where I don't have evening plans...and just breathing. It's amazing how refreshing it is for me to just take a deep breath, look around my living room, go grab my pint of ice cream, and just jump on my huge L-shaped couch and know I have nowhere to be...and know that that's a GOOD thing.

I love being busy. I love experimenting with new activities, new foods, and new friends. I will always be an outdoors guy, looking for the next fun excursion I can create for myself (the list is growing as we speak)...but I'm developing balance. I'm noticing people who run themselves into the ground, and the effects it has on them. I want to be able to kick it and not be antsy. I want to be able to enjoy my activities to the utmost degree...and I think learning to rest and charge my battery can only enhance those times.

I probably still don't relax "enough", but I have learned to take advantage of the times I do. That's gotta be good for something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment