So there are many moments in life where things don't go as we want, or are outside of our control, but nonetheless, are completely frustrating and/or scary. We are rendered almost completely helpless in these situations, and yet we are often times responsible for putting ourselves in that predicament. It is for these reasons I like to refer to these instances as...
"Oh Crap" Moments
1) While driving, all of a sudden you feel a sneeze coming on that is not capable of being stifled. You get super anxious until that ridiculously scary moment where you have to close your eyes and sneeze, the whole time just praying that you don't lose total control of all motor function...and that a big rig doesn't swerve in front of you (this is especially precarious when on the freeway between two cars, say, a Hummer and an Escalade).
2) After using the restroom, you reach over to grab the toilet paper, only to realize there is none. Pardon the pun, but this is most certainly an "Oh Crap" moment.
3) When paddling out surfing, you get "caught inside", and you can't paddle quick enough to get over the top of the wave, but you can't lay back long enough to let it crash in front of you. This is when, especially on a bigger day, you kiss your board, stretch your back, take a deep breath...and prepare to do the underwater hokey-pokey.
4) For all you cooks out there - You finish preparing dinner, and you finally sit down to eat it. And then about midway to three-quarters of the way through the meal, you realize that you left the bread in the oven, the salad in the refrigerator, or some other pre-prepared side dish feeling neglected. This is especially embarrassing when cooking for guests.
5) While traveling on a long vacation, you realized that you packed everything...except your phone charger and/or a belt. Not life or death, but this kills me.
6) For those of us old-school-flip-phone users - When you finish typing a text message using either the "T9" or "Word" function, and then you hit SEND right as you see that the damn phone inserted the word "of" instead of "me", and "good" instead of "home"...so instead of telling your friend "Follow me home", you get "Follow of good". After desperately (and ultimately unsuccessfully) hitting the END button trying to cancel the message before it sends, you can then almost certainly expect the inevitable, confused response of "Huh?"
7) For all you runners - You go out for a run of any distance, and then at your first split that you want to check your time, you realize you, a) didn't hit the stopwatch button hard enough, or b) hit it twice, so it sits idle displaying a time of 0.7 seconds. This is more of an "Ah Crap", not an "Oh Crap" (in my warped mind, "Ah Crap" sounds like a lighter, annoyed lead-in, whereas "Oh Crap" is way more intense).
RANDOM THOUGHT OF THE DAY:
Why doesn't my computer or keyboard have a universal "Un-Caps-Lock" function? I want to be able to just select the text that is currently in all CAPS, and then hit a keyboard button that then lower cases everything. How hard is this?
TwoDC Turns Five
3 years ago