Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Surfing, Running & Scales

Life is pretty much kicking ass these days. But there are a few recent developments of note...

SURFING
I am in full surf-obsession mode. With both of my boards at Julie's in Del Mar, it takes the "chore" out of surfing. Whereas before I had to rack up the boards on my car and trek out to the beach (not to mention cross my fingers and hold my breath when I exceed 40 miles per hour for fear of my board launching off my roof). I've been going out at least once a week, maybe twice. I love my new 9'0" board and my new wetsuit (thing is a heater!) and I have found a new longboard break outside Julie's apartment, so now I can WALK to the break! And to top it all off, Tom has picked up surfing again, so now I can get him back out there and surf more! Water is warming up!


RUNNING
I have also started running again. My sister has decided she is going to run the Rock n Roll Marathon RELAY in June, and I apparently am running the long leg (8-9 miles). I have never ran more than about 5.5 miles, so needless to say, I need some work. But I have NO idea how to properly train for something like this...and it's really too bad that I don't know ANYONE that has ANY knowledge of running or ANY experience running races or anything...


Yep, you guessed it. I have enlisted Miss Julie as my trainer/coach/motivator/ass-kicker. We've worked out a training program, and not only is she laying it out for me...she's running WITH me. No slacking off for me, geez. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to compensate her for this athletic transaction...hmmm.

SCALES
Some of you have caught wind of the fact that skinny-old Marc has gained a couple pounds. Up until last weekend, I had not weighed myself since late 2008, so I am not sure EXACTLY when the weight gain took place. What I can tell you is that in the past 2 months, I have noticed my pants feeling extremely tight (I thought they shrunk in washing machine) and a bit of a "pouch" in the belly area (I had no explanation for this one). Then Tom flat out noticed it one day, saying I had a "belly". BIGGEST COMPLIMENT EVER!!!

So, now to the numbers. In 2008, I weighed 165 pounds. I weighed myself last Saturday, and I now weight 180 pounds. The weight is partly in my stomach, and part in my chest (you know, cuz I do so much lifting in the weight room). I look like a NORMAL human being now. I've been saying for YEARS that I wanted to gain weight, and now that I have...I'm not nearly as amped as I thought I would be. Especially considering the first two topics of this post.

So yep, I'm surfing, running, and fat. Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment