Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What a Weekend! - PART THREE

Welcome to Part Three in this four-part bloga (remember, that's a blog-saga) detailing my experiences this past weekend in Los Angeles. If you haven't read Part Two, click here to catch up!

WHILE WE WERE AT THE COMEDY STORE...

As we wrapped up our delicious and interactive meal at Gyu Kaku, we made our way back to the hotel and then walked over to jump in line for The Comedy Store. We had already bought tickets for "The Main Room - 14 Headlining Comics", and now we started to get excited as we looked at the list of comics posted on the door (CLICK HERE to see the full lineup of comics from that night). I will tell you that all of the comics were funny, but I felt the need to spotlight five of them, including one sequence of four comics who performed back-to-back-to-back-to-back. That was, without question, the most intense, non-stop hour of laughter I had ever experienced. So here are the funniest comics of the evening's show!

FORTUNE FEIMSTER
This was actually the second time we'd seen Fortune (yes, that is really her name). This woman has an extremely witty and self-deprecating style, and utilizes comedic pauses and awkward silences better than anyone I've ever seen. She has some hilarious bits, the most ridiculous being her thoughts on Hooters (the restaurant).

Fortune Feimster on Hooters

She has a tremendous resume, acting as a full-time writer for the "Chelsea Lately" show and appearing as a semi-finalist on Last Comic Standing. She led off the show last Saturday night, and man, did she set the tone! To learn more about her, check out her website.


KIRK FOX
Some of you may recognize Kirk as Sewage Joe from the NBC show "Parks and Recreation." This was the first time I had heard of him, and I thought his set was, without question, the most solid from start-to-finish. Kirk was the first of the next four comics to perform for us (one after the other), and he really set the bar. He has a special knack for ranting and raving about common daily-life annoyances, and his skits on Kids and Airplane Seats are must-sees.

Kirk Fox - No Kids

And so the murderer's row of comics had begun, and Kirk was followed by...

JEFF GARLIN
If you watch "Curb Your Enthusiasm", this name should most definitely ring a bell. Jeff is the executive producer and stars as Larry David's manager on this hit show. The best part about his stand-up is that he showed up as if he had no routine, no set bit. But that is exactly his schtick. He has an incredible improv background, and he uses that as he walks into the room and surveys the crowd. He picked two relatively easy targets (a dude with his hat backwards and a girl dressed quite similarly to Brittany Spears in "Hit Me Baby One More Time"...aka slutty) and just absolutely lit into them for his entire set (15 minutes). His delivery was by far the best of all the comics all night. Check out his website.

And so after Kirk and Jeff performed, I realized I hadn't breathed in about 30 minutes. These guys absolutely brought the house down, and the applause was crazy. I could have sworn the night couldn't get any better, until out walked...


STEVE RANNAZZISI
Yep, that's right, we were being treated to an evening of amazing TV comics. Steve currently plays the role of Kevin on the hit show "The League." Now, I have never seen this show, but after hearing more than a few positive reviews from friends, and then seeing Steve in concert, I feel I have to start watching now! This guy did one of the most hilarious sketches of the evening when he spoke about raising his son. I am so pissed I can't find this bit anywhere, but suffice to say, this guys' physical humor, facial expressions and energy were unparalleled that night!

Click here for more information on Steve!

CHRIS D'ELIA
I had never heard of this guy before, but he did some of the most hilarious voices, impressions and faces I've ever seen. He is known for his role on the show "Whitney" (personally, never heard of it), and I have to imagine he is an extremely hyper, funny actor. Along with Rannazzisi, he had some of the most funny physical moments of the night. I personally could not get past the fact of how much his delivery reminded me of my friend Matt from UCLA, and that only made this guy even funnier.

Here's Chris' website.

By the time this hour of comedy had ended (still with about five more comics to go), I was completely out of breath, and realized I hadn't touched my beer because I had been busy laughing. I absolutely encourage going to The Comedy Store and going to their Main Room show. All four of us had a blast, and the experience can really only be appreciated by witnessing it first-hand (although I know I just tried to do a whole blog post on it).

As the show ended, we walked one store front down to our hotel and called it a night. We were absolutely exhausted, after running into helicopters, falling into ponds, locking my keys in the car, sitting in L.A. traffic, running into the kid from BIG and laughing my ass off. Just another normal day, right?

Stay tuned for the finale of this four-part series, where I detail an amazing brunch place, an awkward line waiting system, and the single closest I've ever come to actually succumbing to pure, unbridled road-rage. Only in L.A., right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment