Thursday, January 20, 2011

Back From the Dead!

Holy hell, it's a miracle! I'm back!

Normally you'd probably expect me to apologize for the lack of posts over the past month, but none of you should probably be surprised by my absence. As you all know, I have that AWESOME job where I'm relaxed with no stress for 10 months out of the year, and then get slammed for a manageable two months from about November 15-January 15. It's bowl season, it happens.

But have no fear, I have not forgot this blog or my loyal readership (which, including my roommate-girlfriend, is probably at two).

I'm torn about what I want my focus to be in this year's blog. I wonder if my recaps of my travels are boring and redundant. I have got some decent feedback about my random childhood reminiscing, or my "Top Ten" lists. Do you guys even care about if I went to Napa last weekend?

What I'd like to do is have some of you readers respond and comment on this blog with what kind of stuff is (and is not) interesting to read. Basically tell me what you're hoping for when you click on my blog to get an update (or probably in most cases, when you accidentally click "Livin the Dream" when you meant to click your "Liberal Ideologies" or in Julie's case, the "Live Long & Prosper" Star Trek blog). I know some of you like photos, others like lists. So leave me a note!

Will you do that? I don't know. But it's worth asking. I don't write for therapeutic reasons, so it's not for my own well-being. I just like writing random posts, and since you all (I use the term "all" loosely of course) take the time to read them, I might as well try and tailor them to the audience!

In the meantime, here's some random thoughts from the past two months (and currently):

SPORTS
1) The Seattle Seahawks (7-9) should never have made the playoffs. I don't care that they won their first-round game against the defending Champions. Any team with a losing record should be prohibited from making the playoffs.

2) That being said, Marshawn Lynch's run to clinch that victory was unreal (and for those of you that know, I HATE Marshawn Lynch. He is a thug. He has a horrible record. I hated him at Cal. I hated him in the NFL. But man, that run was RIDICULOUS).

3) For those of you UCLA basketball fans out there - I have a new favorite player. Meet Bruin center Josh Smith.
Dude is 6-10", 305lbs, has amazing footwork and even better hands. No 300+ pounder should have the touch, and dare I say "finesse" that this guy possesses. If he can learn to control his body and not get in foul trouble, we're talking limitless possibilities. And he's a Freshman!

4) Padres have had a bizarre off-season. After finally trading Adrian Gonzalez (the inevitable), they followed it up with acquisitions including Brad Hawpe, Orlando Hudson, Jason Bartlett, Kevin Frandsen, Chad Qualls, Gregg Zaun (hasn't he played since the 80's?) and settling arbitration with all five guys who filed (including trade-bait Heath Bell).

WORK
Our two bowl games ended up being phenomenal football games. In the Poinsettia Bowl, SDSU RB Ronnie Hillman lit up the bowl's record books as the Aztecs pulled away from Navy in the second half, winning by a final score of 35-14. We had the largest crowd in the game's six-year history (48,000+), which means a great year financially!

Going into the Holiday Bowl, we were a little scared, considering Washington and Nebraska had already played and the Cornhuskers throttled the Huskies by 35. But to the surprise of the nation, Washington came out swinging and provided arguably the biggest upset of bowl season by knocking off Nebraska 19-7 in a defensive slugfest.

We had quite the bowl season, especially with the flooding of the stadium 24 hours before Poinsettia Bowl kickoff! But it all got resolved. Here's a photo of the stadium from the night before the game (before the pumps arrived) that I took with my phone:


LIFE
1) Got three weddings on the books already this year. Tis the season!

2) I'm going in a hot air balloon for a sunrise ride! Quite excited about this. Not scheduled yet.

3) I have committed to running a half-marathon this year. Yep, I just made it official. By putting it on this blog, I am subjecting myself to all of you reminding me about it and holding me (gasp) accountable. I'm buying new running shoes this weekend, starting the SLOW training, and we'll figure out when's a good time for me to unleash my skills.

3a) My level of activity has drastically declined in the past six months, and I don't like it. So be ready for beach days, surf days, park days, running, frisbee, games of catch and more! 2011 marks the year of the COMEBACK!

That's all for now...but please post and let me know what you wanna read about. And I know my life is sooooo interesting, but try to narrow it down!

2 comments:

  1. I already know what happens in your life, so make me laugh. That's my request. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write whatever moves you. I don't mind when you don't post. It means you are living a life with a special woman. Julie is a doll.

    I'm having a hard time getting past the "I don't write for therapeutic reasons" comment, though. Writing is a kind of mental exercise...and, therefore, a kind of therapy...and usually more beneficial to the writer than the reader, in my view. I just sent my fourth book in as any months to the printer (about an hour ago). I'm pretty sure I got more out of the process than anyone else will. Heck, I'm bathing in the afterglow and anticipating seeing my work in print. No one else even knows the fourth book got off the ground. In a couple of weeks I'll find the first typo and experience a letdown...again, before my audience even knows I have put pencil to paper.

    So I guess I'm saying "Write for yourself."

    ReplyDelete